The APTA Centennial Scholars Program is designed to build a cadre of future association leaders at both the chapter/section/academy and national levels. Demonstrating APTA’s investment in the sustainability of the association as it begins its next 100 years, the program will support our collective quest for a diverse and prepared leadership pool.
The 12-month program will run throughout 2021 with a goal of engaging 100 scholars, including the goal of at least one scholar sponsored by each of APTA’s chapters, sections, and academies. The curriculum will cover association leadership and management topics and be delivered through three face-to-face meetings and regularly scheduled virtual learning experiences. Additionally, scholars will work directly with their sponsoring chapter to design and complete a capstone project that addresses an existing need as determined by the sponsor. Scholars will also benefit from the guidance of Centennial Scholar mentors who will work directly with the scholars in small groups to support the completion of their projects.
The Delaware chapter has identified some potential project ideas based on their strategic plan. These include, but are not limited to:
- Expand/Develop our face-to-face & virtual continuing education offerings
- Create a new program or initiative to improve member engagement
- Plan and coordinate an “advocacy day” event in Dover
- Use component archival materials to create a component history that identifies key events and initiatives over time
The capstone project is not limited to these ideas and will be determined in collaboration with the scholar and the DE chapter’s designated mentor during the Fall of 2020.
Any questions? Please email: email@example.com
The program fee of $5,000 is fully covered by APTA DE with a partial subsidy from APTA. These fees will cover all costs for meetings/workshops including travel, meals, and lodging.
August 20, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
Expected Selection Notification Date
September 1, 2020
Eligibility and Application Requirements
- Be a current PT or PTA member of the APTA and the Delaware chapter (DPTA) at the time of application and throughout the 2021 Centennial year.
- Attend three mandatory in-person events [expenses paid by the sponsoring chapter/section/academy] and regularly scheduled virtual meetings. The in-person events are currently scheduled for:
- January 16, 2021, New York, NY
- April 2021 [exact date TBD] in Alexandria, VA
- September 12, 2021 in Washington, D.C.
- Commit to developing and completing a capstone project in collaboration with DPTA, which may extend beyond 2021.
- Submit a completed application by the application deadline.
Required Application Materials
- Completed application (click on link to application below)
- Resume or CV detailing educational, professional, and volunteer service experience. (upload to application form)
- One letter of recommendation from a person familiar with your potential for future professional leadership and your ability successfully complete a capstone project for your chapter. (upload to application form)