- This event has passed.
Your LGBTQ patient: Providing Culturally Competent Care
April 29, 2015 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Join us April 29, 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm for Your LGBTQ patient: Providing Culturally Competent Care
Presenters: DE LGBTQ Health Equity Task Force (Karla A. Bell – UD and Tim Rodden-Christiana Care)
Registration Fees: Members: FREE; Non-members: $25
Location: Bayhealth Kent General, 640 South State Street, Dover, Delaware 19901; Room: Pavilion 1 & 2
Description: Being aware that health disparities (difference in rate, illness, or condition specific to a population) exist is the first step in becoming more culturally competent in healthcare. This population has significant health disparities. APTA’s focus on including our LGBT patients in its cultural competency focus has been lacking. Our profession dictates that we “eliminate disparities in the health status of people of diverse cultural backgrounds, respond to current and projected demographic changes in the US, and improve the quality of health services and health outcomes, and meet legislative, regulatory, and accreditation standards.” PTs identify health risks when examining patients, and determine appropriate referrals. APTA’s web site lists 5 constructs of cultural competence: cultural awareness, cultural knowledge, cultural skill, cultural encounters, and cultural desire. Physical therapists should apply those constructs to our LGBT patients as well.
- Use common terms when providing care to sexual and gender minoritie
- Identify specific health disparities for our LGBT patients and understand the need to screen our patients appropriately for best practice health care delivery
- Number of CEUs (session is 1 ½ hours)
- Handouts will be provided
- Audience: all PTs and PTAs; any setting
- Certificates of completion will be provided 2 weeks after the meeting.
Registration Information: You may register for this event in 1 of 2 ways:
- Online: Please visit our EventBrite registration page to register online. You will not incur a registration fee if you register online.
- Via mail: Please make checks payable the Delaware Physical Therapy Association and mail with a copy of the registration form (linked below) to DPTA 1055 North Fairfax Street, Suite 205, Alexandria, VA 22314.
Registration Form_LGBTQ Patient
To protect your privacy, we CANNOT accept credit card information via fax or email.
Please contact us at email@example.com with questions.